Friday 22 February 2013

focus on life–week 8–monochromatic

Here we are two months down in this year of photos already! When Sally’s email came last Saturday daring us to shoot some photos with the monochromatic setting I was ready for the challenge.  Sally writes:
“Monochromatic photos tell a story, evoke emotion and uncovers the soul with the simple contrast of one color. Monochromatic photos enable the viewer to see a deeper meaning behind what may be concealed by multiple colors”
Then, quite out of character, our cat Franklin was sitting in the sun in the kitchen.  This cat is pretty odd, in that he actually avoids lying in the sun most times.  Really? Every cat I’ve ever known has always been able to fill that little shaft of sunlight.  Of course I hadn’t actually looked up the setting yet so I got to shooting in colour, figuring he would not stay put too long – but then Averleigh decided she wanted to join him.

003 bw

Sprawled across the floor she stole the spotlight and the sun! He looks a lot more aggravated in this picture than he really was [looking at it now as I post, I should have left his eyes green].  I changed this to black and white but I was disappointed in how dark her face is.  A few weak attempts and processing to correct that had me blowing out her foot completely and it just looked stranger.  I decided this was the lesson.  Shooting in black and white to start would be better if that’s where I wanted to end up.

The week went by and a few subjects caught my eye, but time-camera-object never met.  Then today I see two of Averleigh’s little kitties sitting on the table in the sun and I thought, hey that would be a neat contrast.  I pull out the camera to find the setting and while I’m fiddling I hear a little “plonk”.  I look up to see little plastic Playmobil kitty on the floor and Franklin on the table.

001

Busted! Looks like someone wanted the spotlight back after all.  Oh yes a green eyed kitty after hearing everyone’s sweet comments about rival house kitty Roxy two weeks ago.  He certainly decided that plastic kitties weren’t going to upstage him too.

009

He proceeds to perform.  Rubbing his head all over the chair backs and being playful.  Oh sure, I just figure out the monochromatic and now I have to find a faster setting so you aren’t just a grey blur… No way he would make it easy right? So I get to the faster setting, get it adjusted and then he won’t move at all!  Such.a.cat.

week8 focus on life

I tried to get him to play with the kitties.  I know he does when no one is looking since the black plastic one is currently missing.  But no, he just posed, made sure I got his best side.

033

The one above is my favourite, love how his whiskers look so fancy.  The one below is kind of odd, and has lots of room for improvement technically, but I like it.

007
 
Dear Franklin: There are now nine photos of you versus one of Roxy.  You win.  Kindly do not puke across toys and the carpet this week.

A fun change of pace to work and think in black and white.  I’m so happy to have the excuse to stop and think and learn about these things on this timeline.  Yay for Sally!! Now off to see the Studio Sublime to check out all the links.   

29 comments:

  1. Franklin is a much better poser than my Hope. After she heard the first click, I couldn't get another decent photo. I like that you figured out your camera settings and agree that it's just better to shot in B&W if that's the ultimate goal. Great photos of Franklin (and Averleigh, too!).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice natural tones for your kitty. Love that first picture - Averleigh is a natural beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. He is a beauty. And quite the model.
    Your daughter is precious

    ReplyDelete
  4. Franklin is a beautiful cat..but that first photo is 'sublime' for me...love the composition and the smile!

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a pretty kitty and your daughter is adorable! I love the pic of Franklin rubbing the chair ... I can hear his purr as I look at the picture - well done!

    ReplyDelete
  6. love, love, love the kitty pictures!! such a handsome fellow, and he soon got into his modelling role :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have 3 real cats... I have never got all three of them in the same picture... Not even when they eat, To keep peace Ellie-Mae the black rescue cat eats on the other side of the kitchen... I edited my pictures too... think I will try shooting some in black and white sometime, my edited ones seem a bit grainy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, I love the one of Franklin rubbing his head on the chair!

    ReplyDelete

  9. fantastic photos of your kittys and your daughter is cutie too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your first picture and like that her face is dark on one side and that her little foot is in the light

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your last shot! Franklin is trying to figure out what the new object is! Thank you for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Even if he was a bit uncooperative, you got great shots. The first one is my favorite. I love kids and pets .. Such a special bond.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, I love your post! He's so beautiful and you've captured him perfectly is each shot! The one of him w/your daughter is especially great, but the next to last one is my favorite - purrrr-fection!

    ReplyDelete
  14. you pictures are so entertaining...and I think perfect for exploring black and white. (Oh and the narrative didn't hurt either!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. *Your*

      Gosh you would think I could proof read before posting!

      Delete
  15. Franklin was definitely the star of the show this week. Love the photos of him.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Averleigh's smile is priceless. You got some nice shots of Franklin too. Your last comment made me laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I think the photo with your daughter is adorable! Franklin looks like he can be adorable too!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Franklin can certainly keep your camera busy in B&W or color! Great shots!

    ReplyDelete
  19. these are beautiful. Franklin is gorgeous and I can almost hear him purring. I love the last one, too.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Franklin was meant to be photographed! Love your montage of him. So cute.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your kitteh is gorgeous~ and Averliegh is just precious. That photo is my favorite, but the stately shot with the tiny kitties is a close second.

    ReplyDelete
  22. It can be hard to get good photos of cats that both capture their personality and are interesting compositions. You definitely succeed! And while parts of the photo with Averliegh may be a little dark, the composition is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Very fun photo study of your curious kitty!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Awww, I really miss my cat-baby (who died 5 yrs ago at age 21), even though I am fond of our current canine companion. Cats are just full of personality, and you certainly captured Franklin's! Beautiful photos.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wonderful post! Aren't cats funny!!! I have a dog at the moment but they are funny tooooo! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  26. And Franklin is quite the handsome Kitty (she coos as she rubs his ears)

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear what you think, thanks for taking the time to join in the conversation